- If you want carpet, go wool, a cradle-to-cradle product that can be composted or recycled. Wool is more durable than its synthetic counterparts, longer lasting, all natural and feels amazing!
- Choose flooring surfaces like wood and bamboo that can last a lifetime. A new product called "Woven Bamboo," is one of the hardest flooring surfaces available on the market - sustainable, renewable and durable!
- Add color with non-toxic paints, exterior and interior stains and plasters. A great way to be "green" while helping the environment.
- Eliminate PVC. Use natural linoleum instead in your bathrooms, kitchens and high-traffic areas like laundries and mudrooms.
- Lower allergens and impact the environment less with a rapidly renewable resource like cork flooring. Strike the balance from carpet to hard surface with a resilient, warm and durable cork floor.
Extra Green Tip: It's a myth that cork can't take moisture, use SOLID cork in a bathroom, it keeps the wine in the wine bottle and can take all of the water your kids can splash from the tub. No need for under-floor heat as it maintains close to 70 degrees year round and feels awesome barefoot!
The author is the owner of Brilliant Environmental Products in Bend, which won the Environmental Center's 2010 Small Business Sustainability Award.
The number of LEED certified homes in Central Oregon