First of all, WOW! Now that is how one does a season finale. If you haven't watched last night's season ending edition of Breaking Bad (AKA the best show on television, and if you disagree I'll kick you in the scrabble bag), don't worry, I'm not going to spoil it for you... other than to say, WOW! Join me after the jump for a quick recap, and let's unpack this great hour of TV in the comments. C'MON, LET'S GO!
- "Here's that bullet with your name on it that you ordered off Amazon.com! (Crap. I need to work on my 'killing people' patter.)"
Welcome! Let's talk some SPOILER-RIFIC Breaking Bad season finale details! 1) Even though this has probably been the darkest BB season yet—there was a terrific, light and humorous touch to this episode that I loved. Such as Walt's bomb magnet getting stuck to the elevator door? BRILLIANT! The humor was a terrific counterpoint to the drama that followed.
2) Another thing Breaking Bad uses to great effect is silence. The scene where Walt was watching his house from inside his car to see if any killers were staking it out was shot in almost total silence—which was freaking me the fuck out. I kept expecting to hear a muffled gunshot and see Walt's poor neighbor stumbling out of the house with her intestines hanging out.
3) Speaking of callously putting Walt's neighbor in danger—this has been a recurring theme throughout this season. Walt will do anything to protect his family, even if that means manipulating Jessie and shoving innocents into the cross-fire... apparently, this also extends to temporarily poisoning little kids. I did not see that coming!
4) Naturally, the most awesome moment—and for my money, the best Breaking Bad image since the "exploding head riding on top of a tortoise" scene from season two, had to be Gus' psychic realization that he was about to be blown to shit, followed by the explosion, and then Gus walking out of the room, straightening his tie—even while half of his face was blown off. (Must keep up appearances, after all!)
- Courtesy AMC
- This moment brought to you by next week's season premiere of The Walking Dead.
Got any thoughts I missed? (I'm sure you do.) Let's chat it up in the comments!