As usual, we’re here to help. Beginning with this issue and over the next 10 weeks, we’ll be serving up a mix of election-related news, endorsements and interviews that will help Source readers determine which candidates represent their best interests and which ones represent special interests. As always, we’ll be grilling candidates for local, regional and state office in preparation for providing this coverage. If you have questions or issues for candidates, don’t hesitate to send them our way and we’ll put them to the politicians. In the meantime, stay tuned as our news and editorial staff zeroes in on the candidates and issues that are defining this year’s campaigns.
We’ll see you in the trenches.
Eric Flowers, editor
The Races to Watch This Year
• District 27 state senator: Geri Hauser (D) v. Tim Knopp (R)
• 55th District state rep: John Huddle (D) v. Mike McLane (R)
• 54th District state rep: Nathan Hovekamp (D) v. Jason Conger (R)
• Secretary of state: Kate Brown (D) v. Knute Buehler (R)
• State Treasurer: Ted Wheeler (D) v. Thomas Cox (R)
• President: Barack Obama (D) v. Mitt Romney (R)
• House District 2: Joyce Segers (D) v. Greg Walden (R)
• Deschutes County Circuit Court Judge, 11th District, Position 2: Beth Bagley v. Andy Balyeat
• Deschutes County Commission: Alan Unger (D) v. Tom Greene (R)
• Bend Park and Recreation District: This $29 million bond measure would help complete the river trail, fund an ice rink, allow safe passage for floaters under the Colorado Bridge, and create new parks around the city among other projects.
• Measure #80: Allows personal marijuana, hemp cultivation and use without a license, and creates a commission to regulate commercial marijuana cultivation and sales.
• Measure #81: Prohibits commercial non-tribal fishing with gillnets in Oregon "inland waters," but allows use of seine nets.
• Measure #82: Amends the Oregon Constitution and authorizes the establishment of privately-owned casinos. Mandates percentage of revenues payable to dedicated state fund
• Measure #85 Amends the Oregon Constitution to allocate corporate Income/excise tax "kicker" refund to additionally fund K through 12 public education.
Bend City Council
Position 1 – (currently held by Tom Greene)
Position 2 – (currently held by Jeff Eager)
Position 3 – (currently held by
Ron (Rondo) Boozell
Position 4 – (currently held by Jim Clinton)
Redmond City Council
George Endicott (incumbent)
* no challenger
Joseph W. Centanni
*Top three vote-getters will assume the three available positions.