How will they make it possible for people to workout safely in the age of COVID-19? Over the course of a few hours, people may use the same bike handlebars, weights and other equipment. We'll provide a quick overview of the governor's guidelines, some tips on how to workout safely and a list of local exercise facilities that have already opened their doors.
To start, Phase One requires specific guidelines for fitness-related organizations. This includes—but is not limited to—gyms, fitness centers, personal training facilities, dance studios and martial arts centers.
- Some people have been going a crazy without some time spent in the gym, but it looks your favorite fitness center may be open soon.
Here a few of the guidelines:
- Must limit the number of individuals in facility and work to maintain 6 feet of separation.
- Determine maximum occupancy for different areas of the gym/center.
- No contact sports.
- Encourage and implement face-covering guidance.
- Close water fountains and showers (people may use water-filling stations).
- Saunas, spas, steam rooms and pools stay closed.
- Clean and sanitize equipment after each use.
Maintain a safe distance from others, wear a mask or face covering and wipe down the equipment. To find out what's open, check websites, social channels or call. We'll be updating this page often as more businesses reopen in the coming weeks.
Facilities that have opened or plan to open:Xcel Fitness East in Bend is officially back open as of Friday, May 15. The gym will be doing wellness-checks as people enter as well as enforcing social distancing. Its Crossfit classes will be limited to 12 people and its group fitness classes will be limited to 15.
Orange Theory Fitness will begin holding classes again starting Monday, May 18. It is contacting current members with updated policies and procedures.
Fitness 1440 will be open as of Wednesday, May 20. Patrons will be asked to sign in and erase their name when they leave. The gym will hold up to 30 people at one time, with no limits on the length of a workout. There will be no group classes, and some equipment will be taped off to aid in social distancing. All patrons are encouraged to wear masks. They will be closed Mon-Thu from 1-3pm, so employees can to do a deep clean and disinfect all equipment.