Gals are different than guys.
We hope that is not late-breaking news for you.
Yes, Venus, Mars; among other differences.
What is relevant right now, though, is that shopping for women is different than shopping for men. Certainly some gender-neutral gifts are fine, like a sub-freezing sleeping bag or bike accessories. In this week's issue we separate out the women from the men, and beyond that, rank your gift-giving priorities, from first tier gift recipients (that is, the most important women in your life: your mom, your daughter, your wife), to suggested gifts for second (aunts and best friends) and third tier (co-worker) recipients.
A few tips to consider: Encourage beauty, but not in a critical way; said more specifically, buying earrings or scarfs are nice, you-go-girl cheerleading, whereas buying a how-to lose weight book may get your stocking socked! Indulgence gifts—like chocolates, spa trips and punch cards to Mt Bachelor— are also friendly ways to expand your friend's universe, and lifestyle gifts—like cooking classes and yoga pants—underscore that you understand and appreciate what is important to your recipient.
More stellar gift ideas—for everyone from your mom to your co-worker—HERE.
To get started, a few stocking stuffers:
1. Angelina organic skin care products (525 NW Hill, various prices)
2. Picky Bars (Thump Coffee, 25 NW Minnesota, $2.50 each)
3. Oregon Jasper, sterling silver earrings from Silverado (1001 NW Wall; $49)
4. Locally-made and designed ornament (Studio 3, 50 SE Scott, $5)
5. "Sizzle & Buzz," a guide to the region's hottest restaurants (for sale at Jackson's Corner, 845 NW Delaware, $20)
6. Subscription to 1859 (available at 1859oregonmagazine.com; one-year $18.59)