This coming weekend is the Scalehouse's first interactive High Fiber Arts Symposium, on Friday, May 13 and Saturday, May 14. The mission of the Scalehouse is to create programs and events that promote creative thinking, innovation and collaboration in Bend and this symposium does exactly that!
Through a weekend of speakers, panel discussions, workshops and celebrations, attendees will explore how the world of textile arts has been influenced by technology and has transcended its origins.
Friday Evening Keynote Speaker & Panel (5 to 9 p.m.):
- Keynote Speaker: Jeanne Carver of Imperial Stock Ranch
- Panel Discussion: The Fiber Arts Transformation moderated by Jean Wells with panel members Cari Brown, Pat Clark, Patty Freeman-Martin, Allison Murphy, Leela Morimoto and Karen Holm
Morning Workshops (9:30 a.m. to noon)
- Friendship Star Quilt Block with Gail Ransdall at Sew Many Quilts
- Reverse Applique Stitching with Patti Calande at Gossamer
- Upping the Art of Fashion with Karen Holm at Stuart's of Bend
- Inspiration by the Piece by Pat Clark at Atelier 6000
- Traditional Basket Twining by Tyrone Cole at Utilitu Sew + Design
- Origami Earrings with Leela Morimoto at The Workhouse
Afternoon Workshops (1:30 to 4 p.m.)
- Wet Felted Vessels by Pauline Lyders at Stuart's of Bend
- People, Verbs & Things: Drawing with Embroidery by Tyler Mackie at Sew Many Quilts
- Product Photography: Boosting your Perceived Value by Maria F. Bay at High Fiber Hub
- Yarn-Bombing by Elise Jones at Gossamer
- Ideas to Direction and Discussions by Pat Clark at High Fiber Hub
- Intro to Screen Printing by SweetPea Cole at The Workhouse
- Loom Weaving with Dee Ford Potter at Utilitu Sewing + Design
- Handmade Stories by Patty Freeman Martin at Atelier 6000
Learn more about this creative event and register for the whole weekend or individual workshops and events here.